Sunday, August 31, 2008

Falling for the season to come

It's hard to believe that tomorrow is the 1st of September. The kids have gone back to school and new regimens and schedules are inevitable. It's a good thing to be organized, however it can be crazy for most of our family lifestyles to maintain your sanity during the week.
So... in great expectation of my week ahead, I decided to get myself back on track with my meal planning and so forth. I spend a great deal of my week working on customs leaving little time for preparing for meals.
One of my family's favorite fall meals is a bowl of chili and cornbread that is easily prepared and takes us throughout the week. I've even pulled the chili out when unexpected guests arrive with a bag of corn chips for a great appetizer, light lunch and even a great football game munchy!

The cornbread I make is unlike any other I have ever had. I discovered the recipe on the side of my corn meal box. It's more cake-like in taste and texture. I've made it dozens of times for parties and you just can't go wrong! It makes a great addition to your soup nights, salad nights or whatever.... my kids snack on it!
So here it is! I hope you are able to try it at some point! So yummy!!!

Alber's Sweet Corn Bread
Photobucket

1 1/2 Cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn meal
1 Tblsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cup milk
2 eggs beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 350. Grease or paper line 18 muffin cups or grease a 8 inch square baking pan.
Stir together flour, sugar, corn meal, baking powder, & salt in medium bowl. In a different bowl wisk together the rest of the ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry & stir just until everything is well blended. Pour into prepared muffin cups 2/3 full or pan. Bake muffins for 14-16 minutes for a not too browned finish, or a bit longer for browning if you prefer. I like to also bake in a regular cake pan that has been sprayed with pam & bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
*I often double the recipe & bake it in a 9x13" pan but it takes a lot longer to cook all the way through- like 45 minutes, so allow enough time if you want to make a big pan of it.

1 comment:

Cinnamon*Sticks Boutique said...

Yummy! I'm going to have to try that one, thanks Angela
Canela